Should I switch back to my old domain?

7 replies
I'm looking for some advice on switching domains for my survey/giveaway website.

I purchased a website that gets around 1,500 in traffic and makes a few hundred in Adsense. The previous owner had rebranded the site and changed the domain which ended up hurting his SEO and traffic. Before that it was getting 10,000 in traffic on the old domain.

It's been a few years since the rebrand but the original domain still holds a lot of authority and got way more traffic. Should I consider switching the website back to the original domain to try to improve rankings again or should I just focus on the new domain?

(Links removed by moderator per forum rules. No promotional links permitted)

I'm wondering if switching back to the original domain will still be beneficial or if it will just mess up what's happening now on the rebranded site.
#back #domain #switch
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    Originally Posted by courtneylove View Post

I'm looking for some advice on switching domains for my survey/giveaway website.

I purchased a website that gets around 1,500 in traffic and makes a few hundred in Adsense. The previous owner had rebranded the site and changed the domain which ended up hurting his SEO and traffic. Before that it was getting 10,000 in traffic on the old domain.

It's been a few years since the rebrand but the original domain still holds a lot of authority and got way more traffic. Should I consider switching the website back to the original domain to try to improve rankings again or should I just focus on the new domain?

(Links removed by moderator per forum rules. No promotional links permitted)

I'm wondering if switching back to the original domain will still be beneficial or if it will just mess up what's happening now on the rebranded site.

I don't understand why you waited years to address this issue.

My advice is do not switch the sites, leave whatever you have
    going on the new site alone other than routine maintenance
    but do not move that content.

Develop the old domain with the same sort of content that is
    on your survey site, monetize it with AdSense and have two
    survey sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767256].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author courtneylove
      Thanks! I bought the website when it was already switched over, that's why it's been such a long time - I am not the original owner.

Good advice on just using the old domain for the same sort of content - thank you!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767263].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    You are very welcome and I hope that everything works out with your website(s).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jameswalker122
    It's clear that you put a lot of thought into your decision, and I totally get where you're coming from. Changing a domain can be a bit nerve-wracking - losing that established presence and SEO ranking can feel like taking a leap of faith. Your transparency about the initial dip in traffic and the gradual recovery paints a realistic picture for anyone considering a similar move. Sharing the tools and strategies you used to expedite the recovery process is pure gold! It's like a roadmap for those of us who might be on the fence.

On the flip side, I wonder if the refreshed brand image and enthusiasm you mentioned might play a more significant role in the long run. Sometimes a new beginning can spark a surge of motivation, not just for you but also for your audience. It's a tough call, and you've given me a lot to think about as I navigate my own online journey. Thanks for being so open about your experience - it's invaluable for rookies like me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767436].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Burburuzan
    Switching back to the original domain could be a good idea if it still holds authority and had higher traffic previously. However, it's essential to plan the migration carefully to avoid SEO disruptions. Consider doing a 301 redirect from the new domain to the old one, updating your content, and submitting the change in Google Search Console. This transition may help you regain lost traffic and improve rankings. Just be prepared for some short-term fluctuations as search engines adapt to the change.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
    I have to ask ... when the website was moved to a new domain, did the previous owner 301-redirect the various URLs from the old domain to the new one?

If not, that would be the problem and one that is easily fixed.
    Signature
    StoreCoach.com - FREE TRAINING - Learn How to Build Your Own eCommerce Website
    My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox Business News, the NY Times & Flippa
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11768077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shriyansh IOT
    Switching back to your old domain depends on various factors. Consider factors like brand recognition, SEO ranking, and user familiarity. If your old domain had a strong online presence and switching won't harm your SEO, it might be a good choice. Evaluate the pros and cons carefully.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769935].message }}

Trending Topics