How Exactly Should I Market These Blogs?

13 replies
I have been working to start several different blogs, but I don't know how to advertise over them, let alone what. One, for instance, is on social commentary from a rightish perspective, with about twenty posts off the bat, and another is a bunch of pop song adaptations I've used to form a skeleton outline with over a dozen individual posts so far, but I seek your aid in figuring out both what to advertise, and how, specifically, with a special emphasis on what things my blogs should advertise, particularly at the start.

I also have other potential blog topics, like health, science, the Civil War, international events, etc., but I figured I'd start with these. It anyone has any advice or insight to lend me, please lemme know.
#blogs #market
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    Originally Posted by Philip Carpenter View Post

I have been working to start several different blogs, but I don't know how to advertise over them, let alone what. One, for instance, is on social commentary from a rightish perspective, with about twenty posts off the bat, and another is a bunch of pop song adaptations I've used to form a skeleton outline with over a dozen individual posts so far, but I seek your aid in figuring out both what to advertise, and how, specifically, with a special emphasis on what things my blogs should advertise, particularly at the start.

I also have other potential blog topics, like health, science, the Civil War, international events, etc., but I figured I'd start with these. It anyone has any advice or insight to lend me, please lemme know.

I develop my own websites that are monetized with
    affiliate offers, among other things.

If you are setting up your sites for the purpose of
    generating income, then you need to decide how
    you are going to monetize the sites before you set
    everything up.

Some people will go through weeks and months
    of developing the site, then they will search for
    affiliate offers or ads or products to slap on the
    site. That is backwards because there might not
    be anything suitable.

You should figure out what types of things you
    want to advertise or sell on your site, and then
    build your content around that, or at least have
    content that is somewhat related.

What could you market on a civil war site?

Maybe some books, costumes, or tickets to a
    civil war reenactment event. But would that be
    profitable, or would it be a waste of time.

If you just want to set up various sites because
    you find the topics interesting, knowing that they
    cannot be monetized, that is fine as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767251].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamell
    You are stretching yourself too thin trying to manage multiple blogs.

Focus on 1 blog 1 topic but choose sub topics within that niche for ideas. otherwise you will burn out

As far as promoting your blog you can repurpose your content ,tweet it,start a fan page ,build an email list ,guest blog .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767493].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author guinemojo23
    I think in my opinion For your social commentary blog, consider advertising thought provoking posts on current events from your right perspective. Engage with relevant social media groups, and use hashtags to connect with like-minded readers. and also As for your potential blogs, pick a niche you're passionate about and research target audiences.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TobiMDD
    regarding the "how" - you could simply put up some banners on your blog. that is simple and effectiv
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767594].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
    Originally Posted by Philip Carpenter View Post

Agree with Monetize, what is it you want from these? Intent determines action. Thinking of advertising on a non existent blog is putting the cart before the horse, eh? In another thread, there was mention of GOALS, which you asked about.

What are the goals of these blogs, what do you intend them to do? Correct us if we are wrong, but I see a lack of focus and a dissipation of time and energy, am I wrong?

Your named blog topics; health, science, Civil War, International events are all MARKETS, and huge ones at that... you would need to niche it down and get specific if you want to have financial gain from your blog on any of these. The American Civil War is or can be a very lucrative market, it is full of collectors and enthusiasts, what expertise in that area do you bring with you?

As for one more right (or left) pundit wanting to rant, you are competing against the likes of established pundits with large media footprints...I would advise you check out their radio shows, channels and social presences and see what they offer. For example Glenn Beck makes a lot from referring his listeners to GOLD.

So check out Tony Marino, Allie Stuckey, Pat Gray, Greg Kelly, Bill O'Reilly, Chris Plante, Joan Hamburg, Joe Pags, etc., et al, and so on and so on. You more than likely already are tuned into the right pundits...pay attention to what they pitch, hawk and shill for.

Since you are in that parade, offer what the rest of the parade buys, a pretty easy market to get into.

But if the intent is not commercial, or you are OK with building it over a long period of time and income is not a thing you need worry about now, then just join as many groups and forums as you can and participate, and keep posting content.

Again, very general advice to a very general question. We might do better if you give us an idea of what you want from your Internet activity...what is your INTENT?

GordonJ
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767617].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Philip Carpenter View Post

Hi, I'm also learning to blog but I can share some ideas with you:
    First: you blog on the topic you love the most
    Second: you choose a topic to focus on to produce the best quality product
    Third: The most important thing in blogging is the content, you must be creative and avoid duplication
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767684].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author omarguaba1212
    You can use forum marketing and blog commenting. That will allow you to get a wealth of visitors too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11767910].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ema Olivia
    In my view, for your social commentary blog, it would be beneficial to promote thought-provoking content on current events from a perspective aligned with your beliefs. Engaging with pertinent social media communities and utilizing relevant hashtags can help you connect with readers who share your viewpoints.

Additionally, when it comes to your potential blogs, selecting a niche that genuinely excites you and conducting thorough research on your target audience is key to success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769279].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Philip Carpenter View Post

This is a mistake all beginners make.

The blogs should all be aimed at the same audience, featuring the same broad topic area.

That way, your blogs can market each other.

Here is a fact. The people that are likely to read your blog...are already reading blogs on the same subject.

Sooooooo.....You comment on other blog posts, using a name that will tell the reader that you have a blog on the same subject.

One of the main ways I advertise my books on Amazon is to review similar books, with my name mentioning that I am an author of a book with a similar title.

Also, I review other author's books on the same subject, and post it on Youtube.

In your case, you would review other blogs on the same subject, and maybe make short videos of those reviews, and post them on Youtube.

It's all free, and it all works.

Added later; Somehow I missed that you had a rightish perspective. The blogs (if you want to diversify) still need to attract the same audience, or at least there has to be plenty of overlay.

What subjects are near universally popular with your audience?

And if it were me, I'd spend ten hours posting on one blog rather than one hour on each of ten blogs. Readers are attracted to great content, not volume content. And great content is how you get your posts borrowed and posted on other blogs....with a link back to your blog.

I had a blog (on marketing) for over ten years. One day I just typed in a title of one of my posts, and found it in dozens of blogs...each with a link back to my blog. It takes time, but it works.
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ganderson
    I would start with guerilla marketing on social media. You'd have to actually connect with (and regularly interact with) people who follow those topics and share the perspective of the blog. Once they know they like to hear from you, they'll be interested when you post a link to the blog.

My $0.02. Hope that's helpful. Cheers!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769643].message }}
  • I noticed that the OP hasn't returned to ask another question or reply to any of the answers.

Oh well.
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769648].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Monetize
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

I noticed that the OP hasn't returned to ask another question or reply to any of the answers.

Oh well.

Even if the OP has not returned, your fantastic posts will help other people, and that is very important.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769660].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

I noticed that the OP hasn't returned to ask another question or reply to any of the answers.

Oh well.
      Sometimes I don't even want to approve any of these type threads exactly for that reason. But we learn a lot, sometimes, from the helpful responses of experienced marketers.

Mark
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769670].message }}

Trending Topics