HostGator price increase such a joke!!

12 replies
I have been a very long standing customer of HostGator for many years now. And now they have 100% increased the price without any notice and the customer service team there do not care at all! I am on the baby shared platform

I am now looking for alternative hosting companies please!!
#hostgator #increase #joke #price
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Finding hosting is a simple google search...you need to compare and decide. By 100% increase - did a $10/month go to $20/month?

From what I've read, it seems HG has increased the price on 'renewal hosting' perhaps to be able to offer really sweet pricing for new customers. If this the first price increase you've seen in years - that's impressive. The 'customer service team' is unlikely to have the authority to change pricing.

Hostgator almost always has a holiday special where you can add a hosting acct for 50% off. It's a great deal as long as you understand the 'sales price' applies to ONE payment. Not worth much if you pay monthly....great deal if you pay for a year in advance which I did for several years.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
    Dear April: I don't want any trouble from you.
    January was long, February was iffy, March was a freaking dumpster fire.
    So sit down, be quiet, and don't touch anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770042].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    Originally Posted by byronwells View Post

I have been a very long standing customer of HostGator for many years now. And now they have 100% increased the price without any notice and the customer service team there do not care at all! I am on the baby shared platform

I just noticed this a couple of days ago.

They charged approximately $30 instead of the usual $20.

Honestly, I am surprised they have been so inexpensive for
    all these years. I have had my account since 2005 and that
    monthly bill has never been an issue for me.

BTW, HostGator customer service is pretty good. Whenever
    I have contacted them, they have been helpful to me.

The thought of moving my hosting never crossed my mind,
    besides that, I have too many websites to be bothered with
    moving them all, not to mention images and other things.

Having hosting is a part of doing serious online business
    and if you cannot afford this type of expense, you should
    figure out a way to become more profitable instead of
    complaining about the price increase of a few dollars.

Brush up on passive income, online business, and work
    at home methods. There are at least 250 ways to make
    money online, I have developed an actual list and that is
    how many methods are on it. Two-hundred and fifty.

If you aren't doing so already, spend some time reading
    this forum and learn things that you can put into action.

There is priceless information here, trust me.

If you need help, advice, tips, or whatever, just ask and
    someone will try to help you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770047].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Monetize View Post

BTW, HostGator customer service is pretty good. Whenever
      I have contacted them, they have been helpful to me.
      My experience as well. Quick service, and they tell me when I can save money, even if it means it costs them money.

It would never occur to me to go anywhere else.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770049].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bradgator
    I've noticed HostGator's price hike too! They increased their prices since they have a lot of costs in spending their advertisement to be popular in the market. It's the same thing as paying higher for those branded clothes compared to the private label brands that have the same quality.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    In many years using Hostgator I saw only ONE price hike that affected me and the sites I had on that hosting acct easily paid for that small increase.

Not aimed at the OP - but I find many marketers limit their own abilities by thinking small. They fuss over $15 for a YEAR'S registration of a domain...or over a few dollars difference in hosting.

Fact is - even today you can have a domain and hosting for a website or blog for less than $10 a month. The earning potential of that one site is limited only by your abilities and expectations.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
    One secret to happiness is to let every situation be
    what it is instead of what you think it should be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbyte
    Try to find a local hosting company, if there are none in your city maybe your state/province. There are still some out there that don't try to gouge year after year.
    Signature

I fix WordPress problems, PM me if you need help

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770178].message }}
  • Yes the price was sudden and steep compared to the original price. On average their prices increased by about 90%. While this may not be considered a lot by many, it is the way the handled the increase.

I think they could have done a better job of informing the customers ahead of time rather than customers finding out by chance. It's the principle!

Most marketers will not want to migrate their site (s) to another service. However, there are easier options for migration to be handled, in fact most competitors offer migration as a free service.

[promotional text removed by moderator]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770194].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author beasty513
    I think there are plenty of alternatives to Host Gator. All one has to do is a simple
    search. There are some that offer promotions and discounts of course.

As stated earlier in the thread, some might have an issue with migrating existing websites.

It can cause disruptions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770212].message }}
  • I am not an HG fan by any means. I used to be a customer many many moons ago. They were the laughingstock of many of us who thought they were inferior. Yet, they just kept going.

Now, they may not have handled a price increase the "right" way. They need to fix that if they have trouble with how they handle their customers. But they absolutely have the right to raise their fees. As long as they aren't scamming people, I am a fan of capitalistic growth. Let the market decide if the fees are too high.

It sounds like you had a pretty good deal for many years. Now their costs or whatever went up and you are ready to bail. What if your customers did the same to you?

Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TobiMDD
    Originally Posted by byronwells View Post

I'm using interserver, never had an issue with them, so maybe check it out if you want
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770266].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicenet
    I use Namecheap. You can check it out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770423].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Grazina
    Have a look at attractive plans from libertyvps.net and scalahosting.com.

Plans are full-featured and low cost.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770552].message }}

Trending Topics